If Your Home was Built Before 1978…
This Very Important Information Can Help You Avoid Exposing Your Family to Lead Poisoning
The EPA issued new rules in 2008 that became effective in April 2010 requiring contractors to adopt new lead-safe work practices. These new practices are aimed at preventing lead poisoning.
If your home was built before 1978 it is very possible that it contains lead based paint.
- As the owner of EBHCI, I believe that this is a very important step to protect adults and children from the harmful effects of lead paint.
- My company is a certified renovation firm and all of our employees are lead certified. We will follow the laws in providing our services at your home to ensure your safety. Following the new law will add cost to your project but the health of you and your family are worth it.
Unfortunately, some remodeling contractors on the Peninsula are still not certified. Take the simple step of asking for proof of their certification before you meet with any remodeling contractor if your home was built before 1978.
If they aren’t certified and you do hire them then you could be exposing your family and your children to lead poisoning.
Home remodeling projects typically involve sanding, cutting and demolishing existing parts of your home. Any of these construction activities can create a health risk for your family by disturbing lead-based paints.
The following is a brief excerpt from the regulations:
Who Must Follow the 2008 Lead Rule’s Requirements?
In general, anyone who is paid to perform work that disturbs paint in housing and child-occupied facilities built before 1978. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Residential rental property owners/managers
- General contractors
- Special trade contractors, including:
What Activities Are Subject to the Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Program?
In general, any activity that disturbs paint in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, including:
- Remodeling and repair/maintenance
- Electrical work
- Window replacement
If you want to do an addition for extra living space, or simply improve the layout and functionality of your home by renovating your kitchen, bathrooms, master bedroom, home office or any other area of your home, we can help turn your dream into reality.
I encourage you to speak to my clients. Learn how your home improvement or home renovation project will be done right the first time without the headaches, hidden charges, hassles and inferior quality that are so common in my industry.